All organisations engaging people in 'Regulated Activities' must have robust and transparent recruitment procedures in place to ensure children, young people and vulnerable adults are safeguarded and they should be familiar with the Local Safeguarding Children Board policies and procedures.
Before recruiting staff (whether paid or unpaid), the following should be considered:
- The application process should include the organisation’s commitment to safeguarding in, for example, the Job Description and any other documentation
- Thorough checks should be made of an applicant's identity, work history and references including any gaps in time
- Proof of qualifications should be obtained
- Checks with the Disclosure and Barring Service should be undertaken
- A probationary period and supervision of the person should take place
- References should be obtained and verified
This is not an exhaustive list but a framework for sound recruitment practice. Click here to view the Key Safeguarding Employment Standards.